Have you been convicted for criminal sexual conduct in Michigan? You would face some of the harshest penalties in the law. Officers and prosecution take these allegations very seriously and pursue people accused of criminal charges aggressively. You would require hiring the services of a Michigan criminal sexual conduct lawyer to seek protection against the following charges.
Let us delve into the different categories of criminal sexual conduct charges and understand the consequences associated with them.
The First-Degree Criminal Sexual Conduct
There is a charge for first-degree criminal sexual conduct. Criminal Sexual Conduct charges in the first degree are the most serious. Such a serious criminal violation may land you in prison for the rest of your life. A Criminal Sexual Conduct charge in the first degree will be made against a person who participates in sexual intercourse with –
- Any person under the age of 13
- Any person under the age of 16, if the two are related, in the same household
- Any person influencing his position of authority
This charge carries a maximum sentence of life in prison. If a minor is involved, offenders may face a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years in prison and lifetime electronic surveillance if convicted. Unless they qualified for early removal, all offenders guilty of criminal sexual conduct of first degree will stay on the Michigan Sex Offender Registry for the rest of their lives.
The Graduate Program Criminal Sexual Conduct
A person could be convicted of criminal sexual conduct in the graduate program if they have sexual contact, but no intercourse with a person under the age of 13. This crime may also be charged against a person if:
- The suspected victim is a child below the age of 13.
- The alleged victim is between the ages of 13 & 16 and the offender is a teacher or school employee, a childcare provider, or even another authority figure that lives in the same household as the accused person.
- There is sexual intercourse when the accused is committing another crime.
- Another person or persons support the alleged offender and the alleged offender is aware that the victim is mentally or physically powerless.
Hire An Experienced And Professional Lawyer
Anyone convicted of illegal sexual conduct requires a professional and experienced Michigan criminal sexual conduct lawyer. Make a list of all criminal sexual conduct lawyers in your area and schedule a free appointment with each of them. After discussing your case with the attorneys you interview, choose the one with whom you feel most at ease to preserve your liberty and reputation.